Monday, August 16, 2010

Colton's 2nd Birthday

It is the night before Colton's 2nd birthday. Well, really it feels like his birthday because he was born at 2:55 am. :) I was traveling the last few days, which was good, it was a welcome distraction from the way I've been feeling the last weeks. I love to travel, but have a hard time with airplanes. I don't think I've shared with anyone, but about 2 weeks before Colton was born I was on a business trip and we had a pretty bumpy ride to say the least. For some reason I vividly remember that plane ride because Colton was insanely kicking each time the plane made a drop (we had lots of them. Summer, East Coast, major thunderstorm, missed runway, need I say more?) It was probably my adrenaline going to him but he was a kicking machine. Now, whenever I'm on a plane it just takes me back. I look out the window and see the clouds and I absolutely cannot stop thinking of him. Weird, I know but who can explain the way our brains work? I surely cannot. On my way back this trip, there was a ton of humidity in the air which made for some marshmallowey, puffy white, gorgeous clouds. It reminded me of the sheepskin Colton used to lay on in his isolette. Awesome. Why does everything remind me of Colton these days? Isn't this supposed to get better as time goes on? I had a hard time holding it together on the plane, but I did, just as I do.


I feel lately as I did toward the end of Colton's life. Worn out, weary on bad news and bone tired. I know its a phase and I'll work through it but I think this year is different than last because I'm not dealing with other issues. I'm not selling a home, looking for a new place to live and adjusting to life without a partner. All that was on my plate last year and maybe this year I'm just calm enough to really process what has happened over the last two years. But enough about me, it is Colton's birthday after all!


My beautiful Colton came into this world a fighter. We were told that when he was born he wouldn't cry. But he did. Imagine the tiniest little kitten mew and that is what his cry sounded like. Who knew that at 27 weeks of age he could have his daddy's fingers and toes? Who knew that I would cherish the hours of time spent kangarooing? No matter how crazy the day had been, I felt at complete peace doing that. Who knew that a little boy so tiny could smell so wonderful or have the strongest of grips? Who knew that those soulful, deep blue eyes would live through more medical procedures than most of us could ever dream? Who knew you could feel love like that? Who knew that if you poked him gently on his nose or cheek he would smile? Who knew someone that small could make such a stinky diaper? Who knew that something as simple as sucking a pacifier would make me the world's proudest mom?


Who knew we would have to live a lifetime in four months? Who knew a hospital would be his only home? Who knew we would have to only try and remember his smell and touch? Who knew we would have to let go? Who knew I would look in the mirror someday and miss the person I used to be? Who knew I would have a completely different identity two years later? Who knew that an ache could run this deep?


And if I knew all of this, would it have made a difference? Who knows. I am deeper, I am stronger, I have lost much, I have loved even more. I am who I am, all because of a beautiful little boy named Colton. What an amazing impact. Happy 2nd birthday my little love. Mommy hopes you are dancing on one of those marshmallow clouds.

5 comments:

gymako said...

Happy Birthday little buddie in the sky ;-)

Love,
Sarah

Wendy said...

loveWow Amy-

Your blog is beautiful. The way you express yourself is so touching. Colton must be the proudest little son up there.

Happy Birthday Sweetheart.

Megan said...

so beautiful Amy, thank you for sharing your deepest feelings and thoughts. Colton is such a special little boy and you are his amazing Mom! love you tons xoxo

Happy 2nd Heavenly Birthday Colton!

Suzie Kontra said...

Here's to marshmallow clouds and your sweet angel baby boy - That was so touching and soulful - left me crying - Amy you truly have such a gift - the gift of love! Thank you for sharing with us all.

Cartoon Characters said...

I got to your blog via "next blog" at the top of the page....my nephew's name is Colton so that is a special name to me. As an L&D RN who has seen many parents go through this....my heart goes out to you. Just know that you were your little guy's best gift to him....(hug) Take care.