Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Peace At Last

Our beautiful boy found peace at last yesterday. He was surrounded by immense love and support with all of his grandparents, his aunt and uncle and some of the most amazing nurses out there. I held him on my chest and kissed his little head as he went to be with the angels. I have never loved so deep nor had so much admiration for the strength of others in my life. While selfishly, I miss my boy to pieces, I am trying to find the lessons from his short little life. I know that I love my husband more, Colton brought us so close together. I know that I admire my parents more for the love they have given me. I know that Donny and I are blessed with the most amazing groups of friends who have picked us up and are helping us through this overwhelming time. I know that Colton was loved every single day by the care and touch of his nurses. I know that I was meant to be a mommy. I know that I look at the world through sad eyes right now but everything means so much more than it used to. I know that Colton was the greatest gift I have ever been given. I know that I have felt the love of my child.

In order to honor Colton and keep his memory alive, Donny and I would like to donate some rocking chairs and foot stools to the NICU. Kangaroo time (where we held Colton on our chest) was the most wonderful time with him where we could bond with him and for all parents in the NICU it is the most positive experience you have there. Colton loved his Kangaroo time because he could feel our skin, hear our heart beat and smell his mommy and daddy. The NICU is sorely lacking in comfortable chairs and are very short on supply. We are going to set up Colton's Kangaroo Fund to do this. If you'd like to make a donation, please send cash or a check made out to Amy Chilla and put Colton's Kangaroo Fund in the memo on the check, and we will make sure it goes toward this cause. Each chair will have a plaque on it with Colton's name. Our address is 5 Goose Pond Road, Ladera Ranch, CA 92694.

Services for Colton will be this Friday, Dec. 19 at 11am at El Toro Memorial Park. The address is 25751 Trabuco Rd. Lake Forest, CA 92630. There will be a reception following the service at the home of John and Stacie McKeehan at 8 Goose Pond Road, Ladera Ranch, CA 92694. We invite everyone who shared a part of Colton's little life to join us on Friday.

8 comments:

Dawson & Dawson said...

My heart is breaking for you and I'm so sorry to hear of your story. I know your sister Jennifer Chilla,she told me about your family. I feel such a connection to you all and I don't even know you.

My daughter, Addison Marie, was born Aug 14th 2006 at 28 weeks and stayed at Mission CHOC as well. She was in the NICU at Mission until Oct 31st when she came home with us.

I can honestly say I do understand how exhausted you are mentally and emotionally and wish I could do something to help.

Words can not express the absolute sadness I feel for you and your family. You are and always will in my prayers and if there is anything at all that I can do for you and your family please let me know. I live in RSM and would be happy to help in anyway I can.

Ann Henstridge
Mom to Addison (28 wk preemie)
949-858-8394

Debbi Cunnington said...

He will be missed but always loved.

GKing said...

My heart is hurting, but at the same time I feel that baby Colton in the short time he was with us, taught all of us so many things about ourselves and each other.…and for that he truly was an angel. For Cherie’ and I it was extra painful to watch you and Donny go through this, for reasons you already know. But I have to say…..we truly admire the strength and love you both showed for baby Colton and each other. I have faith that baby Colton is in a much better place in the hands of our Lord. He will be greatly missed for now, but we will all see him again. We love you guys………
Gary, Cherie', Kaitlyn, and Christian

Unknown said...

Dear Chilla Family,
My heart goes out to you at this difficult time. You have a beautiful baby boy who is now as always was an angel. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Cara McMahon (Missy's cousin)

nancy said...

Alberto and I are so sorry for the sadness you are going though. I cannot even begin to comprehend the pain you must be feeling. Although I did not know Colton, I have been hearing about him and his journey for the last 4 months. What a fighter he was. I wish peace for you Amy, Donny and your families.

Nancy Algernon

Unknown said...

I am tremendously saddened by your loss. I cannot express in words how I am feeling for you and your family. You are in my thoughts during this time. He is an amazing little boy.

All my very best through this difficult time.

Thomas Toth

JamiRN said...

I am smiling through tears, thinking about Colton up in Heaven. He's carefree and so happy, playing with his friends Cody and Tommy...but I miss him terribly.

kgullik said...

Donny, Amy, Family and Friends,

There are no words to express the sorrow in our hearts for the loss of your little angel Colton. While we may never fully understand why his life was cut short, let there be no doubt as to his purpose and the joy he has brought to so many lives. His story shines bright with the love of his dedicated parents and the support of his community. I can only pray that you find peace and comfort in knowing that Colton is resting comfortably with his savior and awaiting a time when he can feel your embrace again.

With much love,
Keri Gulliksen (Popko)