Friday, August 29, 2008

I Got Held

Today was such a big day for me. The most exciting thing that happened was mommy got to hold me for TWO hours. That's right, for the first time in almost 2 weeks that I was held. My UV lights got to be turned off and I was doing well enough that they decided to let me start kangaroo care today. That means I get to have skin to skin contact with mommy and/or daddy. As a matter of fact, daddy is at the hospital right now and mommy is hoping that he can kangaroo with me tonight. Mommy was so happy and relaxed holding me that she almost fell asleep a couple of times. (update: Daddy did get to kangaroo!)

The cardiologist also came by today to examine me. He told mommy that the VSD (hole in my heart) is a moderate size and they need to just wait and see for the next couple of weeks to see what it does. If it proves to be a problem for me (like I can't grow) then they will put a band around my pulmonary artery to restrict blood flow and relieve pressure on my lungs. So I will stay at this hospital for probably another couple of weeks before we make any decisions about moving me back to the other hospital. Mommy and daddy still have a lot of driving ahead of them.

The best news for me is that they started feeding me today too. I had two feedings while mommy was visiting me today. They are starting small to make sure my tummy can handle it but so far so good.

Wow, what a big day for me! Here are some more photos for you all to look at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29664626@N07/sets/72157607023620220/

UPDATE: I have a couple of hilarious photos of Colton the day of his surgery. His tongue sticking out was the cutest thing to me. These are courtesy of Grandma Mary. http://flickr.com/photos/29664626@N07/sets/72157607027328475/

2 comments:

Anna Mae said...

Colton,
What a special day for you and Mommy and Daddy, I just bet this is a day they will never forget. You keep getting bigger and stronger and let their heart beat to yours.
Hugs and Kisses
Anna Mae

Unknown said...

I am in awe while reading Colton's progress and viewing the pictures of the two of you holding baby Colton. What an amazing step forward this is for all of you!

I’m so proud that you are a part of my family.

So Much Love,
Aunt Jenny
xoxox