Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I'm tired.

Today was a very busy day for me. The doctors met with mommy and daddy this morning and told them all the things that they were going to do to me today. Get ready for an anatomy lesson!

So, when babies are in-utero they have an extra tube that goes from their heart to the lungs. It allows the oxygenated blood to pass easily straight to the lungs and bypasses the other half of the heart. Basically, it lets mommy do most of the work while I just grow. Well, when you were born full term that tube just sort of closes up and goes away and your heart and lungs start functioning on their own. Since I am so early that tube is still there and hasn't closed. Its causing a lot of fluid build up in my lungs so they keep having to suction me (I hate it) and they can't take me off the ventilator. So, guess what the fix is? Good old ibuprofin. But, they have to do a bunch of tests on me to make sure it is safe to give me the ibuprofin also. They did all the tests today and as soon as the results come back tomorrow they can give it to me.

Also, my poor feet were getting really bruised and swollen from all the pricking and testing they were doing. So they put in this really neat line through my umbilical cord artery and now no more poking! I'm under the UV lights right now too so my jaundice will go away.

So, as you can tell, its been a big day for me and I'm tired. A looooong nap is in order. Mommy and daddy are coming back later tonight to visit with me and if any big news comes their way I'm sure they write about it. Nighty, night!

No comments: